Sunday, August 8, 2010

Where in the world is John?

Howdy folks,

I hope you enjoy the two new entries on Queenstown and Dunedin, where I spent most of the early winter. For those I haven't spoken with recently, my plans have changed a bit and my trip has been accelerated. I'll be back in the USA in late August, which I was planning all along so I can be at a friend's wedding, but I decided not to return to NZ afterwards. But I have plenty to write about, and hopefully I'll find the time to write about it. (It's amazing how time consuming these blog posts are. Each take hours).

Here's some of the nifty things I've done since or will do before making it back to the states, as sort of an appetizer (or confusingly, an entree over here):

  • Road trip to Aoraki / Mt. Cook, the highest mountain, and a demanding alpine winter hike to stay at the Mueller hut.
  • Subtropical Paihia, the Bay of Islands, sandboarding on 90 mile beach, and Cape Reinga, where the Maori souls depart Aotearoa to head to their ancestral homeland Hawaiiki.
  • Gold Coast Australia, aka the Vegas of Venice Beaches, and lovely Brisbane
  • Scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef in Cairns! (where I am right now :D)
  • A week in Melbourne and its many fun places to see.
I'll be back in Georgia in early September, and plan on spending time with friends and family for quite a while. Ultimately, if money allows I'd like to take a road trip up to New England, then along Canada and the northern US toward the west coast. I'll be sure to visit long lost buddies along the way. My even more ultimate plan after that though, is to re-enroll at a University somewhere to get an Electrical Engineering degree, so I can do design work in the R&D side of the solar power industry. But more on all that stuff later. For now, it's time for bed and day two of my 5 day PADI scuba certification course, which will include 3 days on the outer reef, and about 8 or so dives.

I miss you all, and look forward to sharing good times with you again soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, if you need any advice on solo roadtripping up north and to the west in the US, I can give you some tips; although, someone who goes and lives in a different country for a year and does all the things you have surely doesn't need any advice!

    ReplyDelete