Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Last day in the US for a while

It's finally time to head to the other side of the world. This time tomorrow, I'll be over the Pacific Ocean, ready to spend a week in Sydney Australia before heading on to Auckland. I'll be arriving in New Zealand on February 11th, and I plan on staying there for about a year.

My first couple months will be at a sustainable living community about an hour by ferry from Auckland. Check it out! http://www.earthwisevalley.org . I'll be farming, taking care of animals, and maintaining the rain forest surrounding the community. It'll be fairly secluded, but they should have Internet access so I can do updates on occasion. We'll also be taking day trips around New Zealand a few times per week, and even a week long trip somewhere at least once while I'm there.

The goal is to completely change my routine for a little while in a fun and exciting way. I hope to pick up plenty of new skills I wouldn't gain in the US as easily. If things turn out to be really awesome, I may stay there longer than a couple months. But either way, once I'm done I plan on moving to Wellington to see what living in New Zealand as a normal person is like.

This blog will hopefully be updated every week or two. I'll try to update whenever I have some interesting pictures, or a story to share. In the meantime, you know how to reach me, or can leave a comment here if you don't.

Cheers!
-John

4 comments:

  1. Safe travels, dearest brother. May you find that which you seek and much, much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, this sounds like a wonderful and exciting adventure. Judy and I admire you. We wish you the best and look forward to reading updates on your blog...Uncle Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. How was New York? San Fran? We miss you already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... It's Feb 12th... Time for an update Jungle Boy!

    ReplyDelete